- ‘From War to Peace?: Post-conflict performance in contemporary Cambodia’, Learned Society of Wales public lecture, 8th February 2018.
- ‘The Darker Side of Creativity’ – part of an event on ‘Culture and Mobility: Displacement, Adaptation and Creativity’ ArtReach & Journeys Festival International, Portsmouth 20th October 2017.
- Part of a public panel on ‘Visions of England and BEA theatre’ as part of Foreign Goods Last Forever 2 showcase, Theatre 503, London 25th April 2017.
- ‘Performance Methodologies in Geography: Combining approaches’ as part of a seminar on ‘Imagination and Experience’ in Cardiff 19th January 2015.
- Part of a public panel on ‘Heritage and the Contemporary in South East Asian Arts’ to open the Fractured/Khmer Passages exhibition. Part of SEA Arts Festival, London, 25th September 2014.
- What Happens After Opening the Door? Fu Manchu Complex Event, Oval House Theatre, London, 5th October 2013.
- ‘The Yellow Peril, Abjection and Contemporary China on the British Stage’ (paper given with Ashley Thorpe), SOAS, London, 27th September 2013.
- Public Q&A with David Henry Hwang, Park Theatre, London, May 25th 2013. See blog entry here
- The Orphan of Zhao controversy, Asian Performing Arts Forum at The Centre of Creative Collaboration, London, 23rd November 2012. See blog entry here
News and Other Media
- Swansea University, Dillwyn Medal press release. The story also appeared in the print edition of the Western Mail.
- Extensively quoted in The Telegraph’s review of In the Depths of Dead Love
- Interview about my book with Dr Dave O’Brien. Click here for audio file
- Yellow Face programme notes for Park Theatre. Click here for PDF.
- Quoted in Lyn Gardner’s piece in The Guardian ‘Is British Theatre Getting Better at Depicting Race On Stage?’
- Quoted in Anna Chen’s Comment is Free ‘Memo to the RSC: East Asians can be more than just dogs and maids’